Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, May 11, 2008

On Being Mom

Mothers throughout history have been admired and respected in many ways. Here we celebrate mothers on Mother's Day by giving gifts, our time, and our love; but many cultures revere women throughout the year and in many different ways. From honoring those women who cannot bear children in this life, to holding ceremonies to honor women who are about to give birth, to honoring women in their roles as grandmothers, women are loved and cherished by those that know them.

One of the most awesome powers that women posses is that of co-creator with God. Robert M. Bowman said it this way, "Conceiving, carrying, and giving birth to a human being is as close as any person can come to the act of creation. That is the beginning of motherhood. But it is far from the end." I believe that the sacred power to bear children is reason enough to revere women.

Bowman continues: "Motherhood is also nurturing, sacrificing, loving, and ultimately letting go." It is humbling to me because I know what an awesome responsibility I have as a mother to nurture and rear my children in righteousness and love. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has said that "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.

I am only just beginning my journey into motherhood, I have one child and he is only 15 months old. I pray daily that I will have the strength to be the best mother that I can be. I know that I will stand in triumph, that I will falter, that I will be proud of my children, that I will be saddened by their choices. I know that I will work my hardest to give them the tools they need to become the best that they can be. I know that when it is finally time to let them go out into the world and stand on their own two feet that I will do it with sadness. I can only hope that they will be better people than I am.

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker