Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, March 20, 2009

Ode to food

It's not that I don't love you anymore,
it's just that we can't have the same relationship...

- An Obese Type II Diabetic with Hypothyroidism and High Blood Pressure



I miss food.

I miss being able to go into my kitchen and pull out ingredients and concoct a masterpiece of epic quality... and eat it with my family... without having to measure, weigh, and count everything before cooking it. Without having to put back half the ingredients because they would add too many carbs to the meal for my blood sugar to handle. Or going ahead and making the meal the way I want and only being able to eat 1/2 cup of it... barely enough to get the flavor on my tongue.

I miss pizza nights where we order pizza and watch a movie and at the end of the movie the pizza is gone and we have gone through a couple of cans of soda each.... mindless eating... Now I slop together pizza's at home for myself, making sure that they are mostly vegetables and making them on tortillas instead of pizza crust... they look more like taco salad than pizza... watching my husband and son scarf down deep dish pepperoni pizza with extra cheese from Dominos...

I miss going out to eat and ordering whatever looks good on the menu without having to mentally add up the carbs, fats, proteins, and cholesterol counts! "I'll have the boiled chicken breast and steamed vegetables... just water to drink, thanks" While my son will have the chicken strips basket with fries and a glass of milk... and hubby gets the 5-alarm burger with fries and a Dr. Pepper.

I miss not having to check my blood sugar before and after meals to make sure that the meal I just ate didn't spike my blood sugar too much.... "Oops, that grilled cheese sandwich was too much, cross that off my list of safe foods... Hello lettuce, nice to meet you..."

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker